Tuesday, August 28, 2012

My Kingdom for a Sharpie!

It's back to school time!         

I guess this is a bit of hyperbole since I don't technically have a kingdom but I really need a Sharpie!  It is just that time of year.  I always buy a brand new pack of Sharpies - the 16 color extra fine point collection - just because.  And I am in the midst of Sharpie withdrawal.  It is part of the back to school ritual that gets me in the mood for school, whether I am teaching or not.  I need them to write the children's names on their uniforms and school paraphernalia, plus it is coming up on the biggest crafting season of the year and I now have the time to craft until my little heart is content.  But I  can't find them anywhere.  We stumbled upon the world's smallest Staples around Nanjing Road and I knew I would be able to get my fix.  No such luck.  Apparently, Shanghai doesn't know the magic powers of the Sharpie.  They've never heard of them.  So alas, our new school year begins and I'll have to suffer through without my beloved Sharpies.   Just something else to add to my list of things to purchase when we are back in the States.


The children don't need Sharpies either. Not on their back to school supply lists. In fact, I have the shortest back to school supply list in history. Pencils, colored pencils, and a pencil bag. No paper, no markers, no Kleenex, no Germ X, no scissors, no crayons, and no 40 glue sticks. Amazing. Their school supplies everything they need. Refreshing concept for a reforming school supply queen.  Emma Grace has had her backpack ready to go for a week.  She tried to get Robert in line and he has nothing to do with that.  She has organized their cubbies, uniforms, supplies, and sharpened pencils until she has nubs.  Purchasing the electric pencil sharpener was probably not the smartest thing I've ever done, but it keeps her busy for hours on end.  I'll just have to go buy more pencils for school.






It has been an exciting few days around the kingdom. Supplies purchased, uniforms purchased, back to school haircuts.  We're ready!   Robert and Emma Grace have started back to school, finally!  They have had an extremely long summer and this was such a welcome change.  Thankfully, they both love their new school.  They have already had swimming lessons this week and PE tomorrow.  Both are excited that they get to wear their PE uniforms to school tomorrow.  We rode our bikes to school today and took Qian with us so she can see where they are going to school.  She is really missing having the young'uns around the house.  She is excited that she can go pick them up after school today.  Thankfully many of the staff speak Chinese so she got her dismissal instructions and is set to go.  It is really cool to see how our driver and ayi have taken to our children.  The children adore them and really enjoy spending time with them.



Ready to ride our bikes to school with Qian.
Waiting in the courtyard for our
first day of school
 
Hello, First Grader!
 

Their classrooms look like mini United Nations forums.  There are over 40 different nationalities represented at the Western International School of Shanghai (WISS).  It was awesome to see so many different little faces.  Each class has two teachers.  One from China and one from the west.  The children have Chinese studies every day for an hour. It's a fairly new school and it continues to grow.  This year they have 650 students and are building 23 new classrooms, adding another pool, badminton courts, tennis courts, and basketball courts.  It's fun to be a part of a growing school community.

Primary section of the library

Entrance to the school.  The Primary wing is on the right.

Secondary wing is on the left and the library is on the
bottom floor.


 Emma Grace was thrilled to get to play Simon Says in Chinese.  They have already learned three characters and the sounds.  Robert's teacher is from Australia and Emma Grace's teacher grew up in Russia but has lived in Shanghai for the past 14 years so Shanghai is home for her.  Their school follows the International Baccalaureate World standards which means the curriculum is individually based and inquiry driven.  I am so excited about this opportunity for my children.  They have been busy making new friends.  Thankfully, many of the students live in our housing complex or go to our church.  Sunday School starts this weekend.  I'm anxious to see how many of their school mates will be in their class.


Emma Grace with her teacher Ms. Bela

Robert's teacher Ms. Morrissey


Robert's class

Emma Grace was the first one in her class and I was ordered to
leave after I took this picture.  I haven't gotten a picture of her
class just yet.


I'm in awe that my babies are first graders now.  It was the first time that I got to go to school with them on the first day.  Such an amazing experience to watch my own children interacting with new people and new teachers.  So glad that I got to do this myself.  I am so blessed to have them in a great school with tremendous possibilities ahead of them.  I cannot wait to see what will happen this year.  Keep us in your prayers as we start another new adventure! 

No comments:

Post a Comment