Wednesday, January 2, 2013

The Best Laid Plans


I fully intended to catch up on my blog while I was home over the Christmas holidays.    As you can see, that didn't happen.  Hopefully, when we get back to China  my blog won't be blocked and I can start posting again.  The brief hiatus from My Excellent Chinese Adventure was government induced as can often be the case.  If you don't hear from me for a while, you'll know what happened. 

In the mean time, here is a snapshot of some of the things we have been doing. 


Halloween was a huge celebration in our compound.  The children got to play games at the clubhouse and trick or treat the neighborhood.  A friend even invited us over to their house on Halloween night to trick or treat in their neighborhood.  The children were thrilled!  They had so much candy left over that I took it to the Special Needs school that I visit each month with some of the members of our church.




The Special Needs school is in a nearby canal town.  You actually get to ride boats up and down the canals.  The children went with me in December.  We sang Christmas carols and handed out Christmas presents with our church youth.  Those children are so precious.  It warms my heart each time I go. There is always so much joy and happiness when we visit. The peeps had such a great time and want to go back again. 


Riding in a boat down the canal




Several ladies in my Bible study work with the Giving Tree Project through the Shanghai Community Center.  It is an awesome service learning project that provides students at the Migrant Schools a bag full of clothes, school supplies, blankets, and toys at Christmas time.  Nearly 15,000 students will receive bags before Chinese New Year.  It is such a blessing to help out with some of the ceremonies.  I get to see the schools, grateful children, and spend time with some fabulous people.  The donors for each school are just amazing and they participate in the ceremonies as well.  The whole program makes me much more thankful for the life I have and the schools that my children get to attend.  Migrant children have it tough but you would never know it by all the smiles on their faces.
 
Donor bags
New hats and scarves

    







My minister is conducting an awesome ladies discipleship that teaches us about spiritual leadership and service.  I am so blessed to be a part of this group.  The weekly lessons can leave you raw but you create such a close bond with the Lord in the process.  This has truly changed my life.  The lessons I have learned are so important as I begin this journey with the Lord.   I am so anxious to gather each week and discuss our homework with the ladies in my group.  Pastor Kevin has such a gift for teaching the Gospel.  He is so passionate in his faith.  He is a fantastic mentor and leader.  I truly have a relationship with the Lord for the first time in years.  I'm so thankful He waited patiently for me to open the door and let him back into my life.  Our lives are so much better for it.



The peeps have been busy with piano, Wu Shu, cheerleading, swimming, cooking, and a variety of after school activities.  They have really enjoyed their new school and all that it offers.  I am amazed at their ability to pick up the Chinese language - written and spoken.  Their reading and writing have come a long way this semester and they both have given research presentations to their classes.  This has been such an awesome experience for them and it's only been one semester.  Their leadership skills are growing in leaps and bounds.  I can't wait to see what they will be doing next semester!


After the first of the year I will begin my Chinese language lessons.  I am actually anxious to get started.  It's time that I started learning the language that my children are learning in school.  I will also continue to see my Traditional Chinese Medicine doctor to see if we can get a few things straightened out with my body.  I'll head back to the pool since it is heated now.  I will also be spending time at school reading with the precious first graders in my children's classes as well as substitute teaching on occasion.  Life won't be slowing down any in the new year.  Hopefully I'll find some time to stitch and scrapbook along the way.  I have really missed doing both these last few months.  Life is pretty good for the Wells clan.  Can't wait to see what adventures 2013 holds!

No comments:

Post a Comment